Monday, September 21, 2009

Native Plants

(native azalea)
Native Plants: What are they and why should I plant them?

Native plants are plants that grow wild in the local forests, ditches, fields, meadows, and dunes. They're not only tough, they're beautiful. They are used to the local ebb and flow of rainfall and need less fertilizer (decreasing run off). They are used to the local soil and soil issues...drainage, etc...They also provide shelter and food for native wildlife.

What is an invasive plant? An invasive plant is a plant that displaces native plants, thus disrupting the local ecosystem. An invasive plant can alter the wildlife by taking away the food sources. It can even destroy a forest. Examples of invasive plants: Bradford pear, kudzu, Fall blooming clematis, Japanese honeysuckle, speedwell, butterfly bush, burning bush...the list seems to grow every year.

There are native trees, shrubs and perenninals to fit every area of your garden. From shade to sun, moist to dry. So the next time you see a pretty flower along the side of the road think about buying it at your local nursery. Think about planting NATIVES.

The following posts are some of my very favorite native plants I use or have used in my cottage garden designs and my own garden, too...

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do
    with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but
    other than that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read.
    I'll certainly be back.

    My page ... buy shoes online

    ReplyDelete